Pages

Tuesday 31 March 2015

6 Amazing Uses for Coconut Oil

My mum is really the one that introduced me to coconut oil, she was raving about the benefits for months and I just nodded along whilst rolling my eyes thinking 'Oh god, not another craze.' It was only until recently that I actually started to use coconut oil thanks to Tanya Burr's Chocolate Brownie recipe (click here to find).
 Since then, I have discovered more ways in which it can be used and I have found it is so diverse, I could probably list over 100 uses for coconut oil but, without the intention to bore you, below are just some of the best ways to make the most out of your jar!




1. Good dairy-free alternative for butter when used in baking
Coconut oil is one of the richest sources of saturated fat, which studies have shown is actually harmless to our bodies. It's also known to have therapeutic properties for brain disorders such as epilepsy or Alzheimer's. You can substitute your butter for coconut oil in baking and in roasting your potatoes too! Yum! This makes a much healthier alternative and adds a little sweetness. It also has a high smoking point!

2. Eye make-up remover

One of the surprising benefits is coconut oil acts like a cleansing balm. It gently removes make-up and residue from your skin whilst softening it at the same time!

3. DIY Body Scrub

When combined with equal part of sea salt or sugar, use to exfoliate and scrub your skin to remove the dead skin cells and prep for tanning. This naturally smells lovely and will leave your skin baby soft!

4. Teeth whitener

The big beauty craze at the moment that seems to be everywhere on the internet is 'Oil Pulling' TOWIE stars and Geordie Shore stars alike are trying this new method of teeth whitening! 
The idea is to swish around the oil in your mouth and pull it through your teeth much like you would do with mouthwash and the oil is supposed to bind with the biofilm on the teeth and reduce the bacteria such as plaque. Coconut is high in lauric acid and is exceptionally good at battling against cavities compared to other methods.

5. Moisturiser

Coconut oil gently softens the skin and is great for psoriasis or eczema. It naturally contains an SPF of 4 so works as a light sun cream, although I wouldn't recommend skipping on the Nivea. It also contains Vitamin E and proteins. This helps skin look rejuvenated and the proteins also contribute to cellular health and tissue repair while vitamin E prevents premature aging.

6. 100% natural conditioner

As well and being moisturising for your skin, coconut oil works in the same way for your hair. Although it may not be a cheaper alternative than just buying a bottle of conditioner from your local shop, most coconut oil that you can purchase will be 100% raw and extra virgin so it doesn't contain any synthetic products or perfumes that you will find in products in the hair care aisle. The proteins in coconut oil will also act to promote hair growth and damage repair.


I could go on but I'm afraid of it reaching a point where I replace all my beauty products with a jar of coconut oil!


A jar usually costs around £5 for 300ml from Waitrose. Click here

However, if you are a Costco member they do a whopping 1500 ml tub. I think it's around the £13 mark but is better value for money and, from experience, it goes a long way.





I have also learnt from my research that coconut oil is good for dogs with allergies not topically but if you give them half a teaspoon a day and gradually increase it. One of my dogs suffers from allergies around this time of the year so I will experiment by giving him a little taster, I think he will go mad for it!



Katie 
x




No comments:

Post a Comment