Pages

Thursday 26 March 2015

My Top Tips for a Spring Makeover

Spring is the perfect time to go through your make-up collection and have a "spring clean".
I like to have a beauty refresh around this time of year as the weather gets warmer, nights get longer and it is vital to change from the heavy-duty foundation in the winter to the dewy cheeks and coral lips for the summer.
Remember the deep berry toned lipstick you bought back in September for your ultimate autumnal look? Or the midnight black eye shadow you purchased for the perfect wintery night smoky eye? They've most likely lived out their shelf life or just gone past their best before dates. 
So what more of a perfect excuse do you need to go and buy a heck load of new products?!



Bold lips are a BIG statement trend for this spring. It's been seen on the catwalk from the likes of Dolce & Gabbana, Zac Posen and Burberry. To really pull this trend off you need to find what colour best suits you, whether it be ruby red, tangerine, fuchsia or electric pink, don't be afraid to go to counters and experiment with different colours or even ask one of the beauty consultants they're always happy to help! The most important rule is to make sure you are comfortable with whatever colour you choose, to fully pull the look off you must be confident and you want to show that. 
Handy tip: Try picking a colour that is blue-toned to give the appearance of brighter, whiter teeth as opposed to an orange-toned colour that can make your teeth look yellow.

Brown eyes are also a big trend in 2015. Think taupe, sand or tan colours for more of a neutral, nude shade. Great brown colours come from the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. My go to shade out of this collection is the colour 'Faint' I wear this almost every dayThese light brown colours suit all eye colours and they are a much better alternative for those who aren't quite so daring to use dark grey or black, making it easier to do the sexy smoky eye look without going to overboard. Brown shades are also rumoured to be great for making you look a few years younger!

Pink Lip gloss is the ultimate staple in my spring make up collection. I like to wear it with lengthening mascara and dewy cheeks to really wake up my daytime look. Some good products I really love are Picnic in the Park by Tanya Burr Cosmetics and Urban Decay's Naked Ultra Nourishing Lip gloss in the colour Love Child  both of these are available from high street shops and have really good long-lasting qualities. 

Purple is also a big colour this season, though I do find it a hard colour to work with. I do not tend to go out of my way to purchase a purple liner or eye shadow but when it comes already included as part of a palette I will try to find a way to use it. A great way to work the purple trend is lightly smoking the colour around your eyelid working as close to the lash line as possible using a small blender brush. This look goes great on people with brown eyes (sorry for you blues or green out there!) If you try this look, don it with a nude lip as to emphasize your eyes to the max.
Handy tip: Try looking for more of a red-toned purple to spice up the look rather than a blue-toned shade, those around me know how I despise a blue cosmetic product although it being my favourite colour. Weird, I know.

Extra Spring Clean Tips:

  • Don't be afraid of your freckles! My skin seems to burst with freckles as soon as I walk into the sunlight and I love to wear a lighter less dense foundation so I am able to still see them. Freckles are natural beauty and make it look like you've caught the sun. Embrace the sun kisses but remember the SPF!
  • Wash your make-up bag out. Nothings worse than putting all your new products into your make-up bag then pulling them out the next time and they're covered in loose powder and eye-liner smudges from where you've lost the lid- ew!
  • Go through your products and ask yourself have I ever worn this? It could be the neon yellow liner you promised yourself to pull off somehow or the orange lipstick that was too bright for your skin tone. If your answer is no its time to part with it my friend.
  • Make sure you wash your brushes, sponges and applicators regularly. This won't only minimise the spread of bacteria but they'll also last you a lot longer!


Katie 
x

Check out my last post: Make yourself into a morning person











No comments:

Post a Comment