Pages

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Make Yourself Into a Morning Person!

My sleeping pattern over the past few years has been very up and down. The major contributing factor is work.
I have managed to turn myself from a night-owl into a morning person and it really wasn't that hard after all and I feel so much better for it. I now wake up before 8.30am on the weekend without the need of an alarm and I feel accomplished in a way and wake up with a motivation to make the most of my day.
For those who struggle to get out of bed before noon there are some steps you are able to take to change this bad habit!





1. Catch some more Zzz's 

Yes, it really is that simple. Go to sleep earlier wakeup earlier. That way you're not missing out on any of the hours that you usually have.
I used to work in a bar which meant late nights and my body really suffered from it. I was sleeping from about 2am till 11am then as soon as I got a job working in an office I had to change it to 10pm-6.30am I was still getting roughly the same amount of hours and my body quickly adapted.


2. Listen to your body. 

Now I usually get tired around 9.30pm. This is the time of the night where I've already eaten my dinner, gone to the gym, had my bath and I am settling down to watch multiple episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (my favourite new series - I really recommend!). 
At this point in the evening I'm really relaxed, my eyes are starting to droop and I'm yawning repeatedly- basically I'm done for the day! When this happens I don't ignore it like most others. I know when my head hits the pillow I'll be out for the night. So I do. My morning self thanks me for doing this every time. If I push through the tiredness so I can watch the new episode of Family Guy or read to the end of the chapter in a book my morning self really hates me for it an I'll find myself reaching for the extra cup of coffee to keep me going through work.


3. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

5 minutes at night will save you 10 in the morning. I like to prepare for the next day the evening before by setting out my clothes I will wear the following day, I'll also pack my handbag with the things I'll require, that way you'll end up dressing nicer for work as your not diving through your dirty laundry basket looking for a clean pair of tights!
Even leaving a bottle of water and snack to grab on the go on your bedside table saves you time hunting for something to eat in the morning if you need to rush out first thing. This allows you more time to shower, apply make up and pack your lunch.
Handy tip: When you have a lot left over from a meal divide it into small containers and put in the freezer. That way if you take it out the night before to defrost you have an already packed lunch ready for the next day!


4. Don't abuse the snooze

I am a firm believer in getting up when I wake up. Hand on heart, I haven't hit the snooze button for about 2 years now.  I find with using the snooze button, its even harder getting out of bed when it eventually comes to the point where you do, in fact, NEED to get up.
As soon as I hear that alarm go off I am on my feet and don't give myself  the opportunity to convince myself a few extra minutes wont do any harm. 
Handy tip: Once you are up, make your bed. That way you're less likely to climb back into it because you don't want to disturb the pillow arrangement or that fluffy throw from Primark which is surprisingly so soft!


5. Get a cool environment

No I don't mean having that rock band poster above your bed or getting a better feng shui with a bonsai tree on your bedside table. I mean switching off the heat or even opening the window a crack. Sleeping in a cool room promotes better sleep as you're not waking in the middle of the night due to overheating therefore, you're waking up more refreshed from having a good, restful sleep.


5. Treat yourself to beat that morning slump

 I enjoy having a special coffee or breakfast treat in the morning. It entices me and motivates me to get up early so I have time to take that trip to Starbucks for my skinny, extra hot toffee nut latte. Even if you buy an extra special jar of coffee to have for your morning brew you will be more to get out of bed to make it. This will set you right for the day as you'll go to school or work with a bit of extra happiness and spring in your step.


6. Know when to nap

I'm not really one for naps but my boyfriend is and on many occasions I have called him only to realise I've woken him from one of his naps. Many other people out there do take a quick snooze during the afternoon as it can be refreshing and give an extra energy boost, but taking a nap for too long can be more harmful. Taking a quick snooze for 20 minutes in the afternoon is recommended for those who find they need the energy boost but if adults sleep for about an hour or perhaps longer throughout the day this just harms their sleeping pattern in the evening and they'll find they are more tired.  
Aim for 20-30 minutes if you know you're in for a late night to reap the beneficial effects and avoid that groggy feeling.


I hope some of these tips work for you night owls out there, they certainly have for me!



Katie 
x



Check out my last post: What Miranda Hobbes Taught Us














No comments:

Post a Comment