Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

What Miranda Hobbes Taught Us



My previous post about Carrie Bradshaw was really enjoyed by some readers, one even requested  I do this post! Yay me!
I thought I would create a second episode to what we learn from the Sex and the City Girls, as they are all so different I feel we can learn valuable life lessons from all four of them. Just watch this space...

As I mentioned in the previous Carrie Bradshaw post, I definitely think Miranda is a character with whom  I can relate to more than any of the other Sex and the City girls.
Miranda Hobbes is a very a empowering feminist as well as being sarcastic, honest and a really good friend to Carrie, Samantha and Charlotte. She can pull of a suit and tie better than any man and made more money than her partner and was okay with it!
I wouldn't say I was very empowering and confident like her but I definitely aspire to be. 
I would, however. say I am more like her in spirit.
I too am very sarcastic, I'm one of them people who go by the thought "Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer". Yes I am that woman! The one who sarcastically nods when someone states the obvious but I am also very honest like her. Say it as it is. Speak my mind. Yep that's me.

She definitely taught us some life lessons throughout the 6 Seasons and 2 movies, below are a selected few of my favourite. 


"I know how to please a man. You just give away most of your power."
What can we take away from this - Here she calls bullshit on patriarchy, she teaches us we shouldn't abandon  our morals and girl power just to make our man happy. Amen.



"He's just not that into you"
What can we take away from this - If anyone remembers this episode, she says this to a complete stranger she overhears on the street complaining about a guy who hasn't called them back. We learn we need to be there for fellow females and don't be afraid to give people the harsh reality when it's much needed.



"Everyone else is glowing about my pregnancy, why can't I?"
What can we take away from this -Everyone reacts to things in their own way,it's okay not to be the one who has everything planned out and floats around on a cloud when they're pregnant, anyone recall her demanding chicken wings for her baby shower?

"Sexy is the thing I try to get them to see me as after I win them over with my personality."
What can we take away from this - Miranda points out this struggle in dating and shows us it is more important for a man to fall in love with your personality and not just your body. A sense of humour and wit goes a long way.



"I have low self-esteem, but I express it the healthy way... by eating a box of Double-Stuff Oreos.”
What can we take away from this -We are not the only ones who indulge on chocolate when we are feeling sh*tty! That certainly makes us feel less guilty!


"I said no white, no ivory, no nothing that says ‘virgin’. I have a child. The jig is up."
What can we take away from this - Miranda gives the middle finger to tradition and teaches us it is okay to abandon social ideologies of how our lives should be lived. We shouldn't be afraid to let our personalities shine!
And last but not least:
 "I once was broken up with by a guy's doorman: 'I'm sorry Ms. Hobbes, Jonathan won't be coming down. Ever.'"
What can we take away from this - No  matter how many break ups we ever  experience we will always remember Miranda getting dumped by the doorman and feel a little better. No one can take that humiliation.

Keep and eye out for the Samantha and Charlotte posts that are yet to come! 
If you are also a sex and the city fanatic like myself, what are some of your favourite moment of the series?
Katie XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment