Pages

Saturday 18 April 2015

My A-Z of Makeup

If you know me, you will know I am obsessed with makeup. There's nothing I find more exciting than arriving home with a bag full of new products to try, except if it was a huge lush haul. I know what colours work for me and what don't and it has taken years of trial and error, through the orange powdered foundations and purple eyeliner. Below is an A-Z list I have created which contains the best advice I could give on makeup and all the ins and outs. I hope it is helpful to those of you who also love makeup or to those of you who don't wear it much and are looking for some handy tips!

Application - this is important, there are so many ways to apply makeup eg. sponges, brushes or fingers. You need to choose whatever works best for you and what you're comfortable working with


Brushes - If you choose to apply make up using a brush, make sure you clean it regularly to avoid spreading bacteria and stop it from molting so much! I recommend the real techniques brushes!

Contouring is a woman's best friend. It can give you the chiselled cheek bones you've been looking for or the slimmer-looking nose you've dreamt of having. The key is to use highlighter where the light naturally falls on your face, and a dark shade such as a matte bronzer to sculpt where the shadows on your face are.

Don't ignore the shelf life of a product. Most products should have a symbol somewhere on the label that says something like "12M" on a tub. This means it has a shelf life of 12 Months and you shouldn't use the product after 12 months of opening it.

Eyelash Curlers are a great way to get extra volume before you apply mascara and helps to separate your lashes too, resulting in better application and no clumps.

Foundation is extremely important as it is a base for the rest your makeup. You must make sure you choose the correct shade for your skin tone and apply it properly to ensure full coverage and make your skin look flawless. If light coverage is more your thing then opt for a BB or CC cream.

Gel Eyeliner is very long lasting and much better than liquid eyeliner which can tend to look dry and flake off towards the end of a long day. Gel eyeliner is also good for the smudgy eyeliner look due to the soft consistency.

Have clear skin to ensure you are minimizing the spread of bacteria and it also helps make your foundation seem flawless without the bumps and red spots of the occasional pimple. Read one of my older posts on How to Get Clearer Skin.

Ignore what the media tells you what you should look like. Makeup is meant to be fun so don't be afraid to experiment and wear that daring colour if its your favourite.

Join boots/Superdrug/Debenhams point system. It's a great way to save money while spending. I have so many boots points I can now repurchase the Lancôme mascara that I LOVE and is a little pricey! 

Keep trying. You may not always get the desired look every time but never give up. You can find totally new things that suit you just by accident. 

Lipstick- When applying lipstick you need to decide what look you're going for. If you are choosing a bright red lip, then using lip liner will help with application and precision. It is also good to exfoliate your lips before applying a product to ensure that they don't chap or go dry and peel.

Moisturise your face daily. Keep your skin hydrated and your make up will look much better for it. Bye bye flaky skin!

No more touching your face. Your fingers are your worst enemy. Try to avoid this as much as possible so you do not rub off any makeup or worse, spread bacteria from a work surface to your face.

Organise your collection. I like to use little boxes, I have one for lip products, one for eye liners and mascaras, one for bronzer, one for foundation & concealer, one for eyeshadows and one for blusher etc.

Primer- Primer is an important step in applying makeup and a lot of people don't ever use it. Primer gives your skin the correct base to apply foundation onto and ensuring it wont come off! It's great for using on a night out where you want everything to stay in place.

Questions- Don't be afraid to ask people working on the beauty counter for advice or help choosing a product. That's what they're there for and they usually have some really good tips and will show you how to apply some makeup if you are unsure. 

Remove your make up properly. As  important as applying it correctly is, its very important to make sure you remove it correctly. Try using a cleanser that isn't harsh on your skin. I always like to purchase one that is specifically for sensitive skin so I know it will be gentle and not dry it. out.

Spare makeup always comes in handy, keep a spare lipgloss or concealer in your bag with you to top up during the day, especially if you're going out for dinner so you can reapply your lippy after the meal.

Translucent powder-  this will help to set your make up and make it even longer-lasting

Understand that products may work differently on other people. I have tried a lot of products recommended by some other beauty bloggers and while they work miracles on them I cannot seem to agree with it. E.g, my MAC eyeshadow in Brun, I saw another blogger use this to fill in their eyebrows but when I bought it and used it for the first time I just didn't like how it looked on me.

Vocalise, if you find a product that you absolutely love tell people about it. I love hearing about products people have been enjoying so I know to try it myself!

Wash your makeup brushes, as mentioned before, this is important as it minimises risks of spreading bacteria and helps make your brushes last longer. 

X I don't know any words that start with X! So here's some kisses xxxxxxx

You don't always need to wear makeup!  Take a day off every now and then to let your skin breathe!

Zzz - Get your beauty sleep



What are some of your best tips?

Katie 
x

1 comment:

  1. Nice Inspirations

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de
    Gewinne ein Beauty Set im Wert von 130€ auf meinen Blog.
    Win a Beauty Set in the value of 130€ on my Blog.

    ReplyDelete