Pages

Sunday 25 January 2015

How To Get Your Beauty Act Together

I always try to follow a beauty and body regime through the week. But knowing which day to exfoliate and which day to fake tan can get a bit muddling and to be honest I always forget!
There is a lot that society tells us we should do to our bodies nowadays such as a coffee grind scrub, homemade banana & avocado face mask and an egg hair mask?!?! It does get too much. As long as we have our weekly beauty regime things shouldn't have to be time or cost effective! Learning what to do and how to do it right, a beauty regime can become part of a person's daily routine without even having to think about it.
That's why I am writing today, to share my advice and hopefully helpful tips to those who do need to get their beauty act together!


Moisturise!
In these cold winter months the most important part of your body to look after is your skin. Your skin is basically the platform to all other beauty aspects. 
To start getting your beauty act together, it is important to acquire a good moisturiser. In the winter I find my skin really suffers from the cold and I find E45 cream or some of The Bodyshop Body Butter really nourishing and good to beat the cold winter blues. I recommend the Strawberry, Shea Butter or Argan Oil  butters.
It's important to keep moisturised especially after jumping out of the shower and some shower gels can be quite drying on the skin.


Exfoliate!
Exfoliating is a really important step in one's beauty regime. I didn't start doing this until I was about 17  and I only wish I knew to do it sooner. I had no idea of the benefits a good scrub could do for my skin! Exfoliating helps to get rid of dry skin cells and creates a softer and smoother appearance and feel. 
If you  are  one to reach for the bottle of fake tan, I, like a lot of beauty gurus, cannot stress the importance of exfoliating beforehand. It will ensure an even tan without build up around the knees, ankles and  neck.
I have always used the Soap and Glory Flake Away Body Polish which promises to rid us of the scaly legs and reveal body buffed goodness! And the scent is just gorgeous!


Remove that Make Up!
Up until a few months ago I would swear by face wipes to remove the days make up. After watching more than a good few of Tanya Burr's Beauty videos and monthly favourites I discovered she had sworn off using any wipes on her face unless she really had to! When I sat down and thought about, I discovered I agreed with her. I have found after I take my make up off with  wipe and then gone to use a toner I still found myself removing more foundation and mascara that was lurking in my pores and in the corner of my eyes. Wipes are really ineffective, a much better way to remove make up is by using a cleanser. 
I am really enjoying Garniers Micellar water and The Body Shops Camomile Cleansing Butter. 


Fake it till you make it!
Whilst fake tanning from the bottle is definitely better than going on a sun bed and cheaper than jetting off to Jamaica for a week in the sun, the preparation for your skin is still an important step to ensuring you get the optimum tan, If fake tanning is part of your beauty regime you need to make sure you exfoliate (it is best to exfoliate the day before you tan) and moisturise the key areas that get dry as mentioned before knees, ankles elbows and neck.
Depending which kind of fake tan you use, application is important whether you use a spray or a mitt. always make sure the mitt is cleaned between uses and wipe the nozzle if you use a spray.


Don't forget to cover up!
Although fake tan does wonders to give us that healthy glow it is important to remember that UV rays are still extremely damaging to our delicate skin. It is important to stay protected even if we aren't sunbathing on a beach in paradise. 
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a magazine once that a celebrity used SPF (Sun Protectant Factor) on her hands daily so it would hide any signs of ageing, this does make a little sense as our hands and face are the parts of our body with the most exposure (unless you are Kim Kardashian flashing a lot of cleavage- but that's not a bad thing!) if you have any SPF moisturiser, be sure to cover your mitts and fortunately most Foundations come with a built in SPF! My favourite is the Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation with a factor of 15.
If not just wear a fabulous hat!

In Good Condition!
Having a good hair routine is also very important. what's the point in having beautifly buffed, golden skin if you don't have the the crowning glory to match?
I cannot stress more about the importance of conditioner. A lot of people complain about greasy hair and moan that their shampoo isn't helping. It is all down to how you use your conditioner. I do use shampoo every time I wash my hair but only use an amount the size of an almond and only use it on my scalp. Shampoo that is used excessively rids the hair follicles of its natural oils and is really damaging to the rest of your hair as a result.
Conditioner should go nowhere near one's roots. This is the key part of this beauty regime.
Keep conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair. If you have time try and keep it on as long as possible or invest in a hair mask.  Conditioner doesn't cause greasy hair, unless you haven't washed it out properly. Depending on the length of your hair, the frequency of how many times you need to wash it during the week will be different but  tailor it to whatever suits you but always try to leave at least 2 days between washes as not to cause damage.


Sleep easy!
Do you think they call it beauty sleep for no reason?
We have all had that time when we've stayed out a bit longer for that extra dance or extra drink and some just never made it to bed at all! Been there done that? Then you will probably already have noticed the result on your skin the next day. Bags? Tired eyes? Need of a McDonalds breakfast? Not so attractive.
Sleep is one of the most important aspects of your daily beauty regime as no amount of concealer can cover up tired eyes! Making sure we get an average of 8 hours a night is extremely beneficial and your skin definitely thanks you for it. Sleep gives our body the time it needs to recover and restore from the days antics. Just make sure not to snack to close to bedtime for better quality sleep.


I'm Picking Up Good Hydration!
Water is key to that healthy skin we all desire. We are all so sick of hearing 2 litres a day is what we should be drinking! When I actually look at a 1 litre bottle my mind just boggles. I'm sure I would never be able to get through one bottle let alone 2! But I have found having my own water bottle that I am able to refill during the day is much easier to face then having a great big bottle staring at me from across the table. 
I think most of the pressure comes from health professionals saying we SHOULD drink such and such and we SHOULD be doing this amount of exercise. As Carrie would say "Why are we 'should'ing all over ourselves?"
I would be much less reluctant to force myself to drink so much water if people would stop pressuring me. It's definitely not a personal attack but it definitely makes life more scary when people tell us how we should be doing something


Let me know if there are certain things you do to get your beauty act together!

Katie 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment